Rule 1 – Section 4 – Article 5 – Jersey Design, Colour and Numerals
- The jersey must have sleeves that completely cover the shoulder pads. It must not be altered or designed to tear. The jersey must be full-length and tucked into the pants or made even with the waist line. It must cover all pads worn at or above the waist. Vests and/or a second jersey worn concurrently during the game are prohibited.
- Other than the player’s numbers, the jersey may only contain:
- Player’s name;
- Team name;
- Mascot name;
- Sleeve stripes;
- Logo for team, competition mascot, game memorial, or the military;
- Authorised advertising material;
- The letter “C” to identify a team captain; or
- The team’s national flag.
3. Any item in paragraph 2 must not exceed 16 square inches in area (i.e., rectangle, square, parallelogram), including any additional material (e.g. patch).
4. A border around the collar and cuffs not more than 1 inch wide is permissible, as is a maximum 4-inch stripe along the side seam (insert from the underarm to pants top).
5. Jerseys may not be taped or tied in any manner.
- Players of opposing teams shall wear jerseys of contrasting colours. Players on the same team shall wear jerseys of the same colour and design.
- The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the start of the competition.
- If the home team wears coloured jerseys, the visiting team may also wear coloured jerseys, if and only if the following conditions have been satisfied:
(a) The home team has agreed in writing prior to the game; and
(b) The competition authority certifies that the jersey of the visiting team is of a contrasting colour.
- If on the kickoff at the start of each half the visiting team wears a coloured jersey in violation of the conditions specified in Rule 1-4-5-b-3 (above), it is a team foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
PENALTY − Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards at the succeeding spot following the kickoff. If the kickoff is returned for a touchdown, the penalty is assessed either on the try or on the succeeding kickoff, at the option of the home team. [S27: UCUNS] (A.R. 1-4-7:III)
- If a coloured jersey contains white, it may appear only as any of the items listed in paragraph a-2 above.
- The jersey must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively. The number must be of a colour that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the colour of the jersey, irrespective of any border around the number.
- Teams wearing jerseys/numerals that do not conform to this rule will be asked to change into legal jerseys before the game and before the start of each quarter until the jerseys are changed.
PENALTY − Officials shall charge a team timeout (or a delay penalty if all timeouts have been used) at the start of each quarter the illegal jerseys are worn. (A.R. 1-4-5:I) [S23: IJY]
- All players of a team shall have the same colour and style numbers front and back. The individual bars must be approximately 1½ inches wide. Numbers on any part of the uniform shall correspond with the mandatory front and back jersey numbers.