Rule 12 – Section 2 – Article 2 – Reviewable plays
a. A review can only be used for a play in which there is doubt about:
- a score
- a change of team possession
- a foul on the list of explicitly reviewable fouls (Rule 12-2-3)
- any foul on a play that ends with less than two minutes of the game remaining or during an extra period
- a disqualification
- the status of the ball (e.g. live/dead, touched/untouched), including when and/or where the ball or a player is out of bounds or in an end zone, which player has possession of the ball, whether a pass is forward or backward or whether a forward pass is complete/incomplete
- the location of a player with regard to substitutions, illegal passes (including intentional grounding), illegal kicks and handing (a foul may be created)
- the location of the ball with respect to a first down
- the down number within a series of downs or before the next series
- clock status
- any obvious errors that may have a significant impact on the outcome of the game
b. A review can equally be used to determine whether a reviewable action occurred or not.
c. While undertaking a review of a particular aspect of a play, other reviewable aspects may come under consideration. A review can consider any reviewable aspect of the play for which the game was stopped.